Backward Compatibility

Guillaume Chazarain guichaz at yahoo.fr
Fri Feb 27 16:05:35 UTC 2004

As I understand it the lib64/ thing is for old 32 bit
binary apps to run flawlessly side by side with x86_64
apps.  Does Fedora Core intent to provide 32 bit libs
for each package ? I understand it raises some packaging
problems but otherwise it defeats the compatibility
advantage.

OTOH, if we assume there are really few 32 bit apps that
will survive in an 64 bit installation, then why not
keeping lib/ for 64 bit libs and installing 32 bit stuff
in /usr/i386-pc-linux-gnu/{bin,lib,...} ?

I may have missed something since I don't currently own
an amd64, just anticipating.

Guillaume