mysql-3.23.58-1 (from RHEL3 source) hangs on AMD64

Hi,

I compiled mysql-3.23.58-1 from RHEL3 source code. But it randomly
hangs.  It reports (from PHP) something like 'connection limit reached'.
I have to kill -9 mysqld process. safe_mysqld then run new copy of the
daemon and everything works until next mysqld hang.

Anybody seen this? Anybody successfuly replaced mysql with another good
version (on AMD64)?

I do not use MySQL on x86 these days so I'm unable to tell if it hangs
on 32 bit too or not.

And yes - I'm unable to buy Enterprise version from RH for this server.

--
                        Milan Kerslager
                        E-mail: milan kerslager pslib cz