TYAN THUNDER K8S S2880UGNR

Marshall Lewis marshall at novafoundry.com
Wed Jun 2 14:14:14 UTC 2004

Does this box have more than 4 gigs of ram?

Current BIOS?

Try not using "quick boot" in BIOS.

We have a Tyan S2882 board in a server that we're having a lot of
problems with (some of which maybe power related).  A BIOS upgrade
helped, but that may have been mainly because it reset many of the BIOS
settings.  Running one power supply instead of two also gets us 20-50%
better performance out of the box (we can only speculate as to why).
Some of the problems seem like they're memory related, but memtest+
doesn't show any issues... but when moving the ram around in the machine
I can get it either reboot on loading linux, or kernel panic after it
initializes? the second cpu.  For some reason, turning off quickboot
(combined with the BIOS upgrade) resolved that issue.

--
 Marshall