RHAS 3, dual opteron S2885 Tyan kernel crash issues

Jason McIntosh McIntoshJ at missouri.edu
Mon Nov 29 21:31:03 UTC 2004

I thought I'd see if anyone else was having issues with a Tyan Dual
Opteron box.  I'm using the SIL 3114 with two 160GB harddrives
(Software RAID1 through Linux) drivers built in to RHAS, on a Tyan
S2885 motherboard.  I'm getting a lot of recurring crashes,
particularly when I try and run in SMP mode.
I'd like to upgrade to kernel 2.6 as it has much better support for the
Opterons, but had issues with the LVM configuration.  So, if anyone has
some suggestions there, I'd be open to them.  Is it a matter of just
upgrading the LVM packages to version 2?  Any chance of using the
packages from the latest Nahant beta to get this to work?  Other
comments/suggestions from anyone else who's got a similar
configuration?
Thanks!
Jason

Jason McIntosh