Got NX working on my Opteron box

Brian Chase networkr0 at cfl.rr.com
Mon Nov 1 03:24:36 UTC 2004

Well, I think I've settled on the platform that will stay for awhile on
my dual Opteron server.  Fedora Core 2 wins out over Mandrake by a
slight margin, mainly due to familiarity and preference, but both
installed and worked well in 64 bit mode.  FC2 x86-64 is said to support
the AMD64 platform out-of-the-box and yield the advantages of 64-bit
processing on many of the native apps like Mozilla, etc.  Not sure about
OpenOffice, but that sure seems like a 64-bit candidate due to it's dog
slow response times.  It's still the slowest application on the box,
even with it being much faster than any other instance of OO I've run.

I have already become spoiled on using YUM on this box, due to the fact
that it points to x86-64 mirrors that are not congested like the
standard FC2 repositories.  Just another advantage of going 64-bit
before the masses do, lol.  A full "yum update" after install only took
about 15 minutes, compared an hour or more on the standard yum
repositories, and this is without touching the stock standard
</etc/yum.conf> that comes on the distro.

Followed these instructions and got the NX server up and running, so now
my 64-bit beast is a fully graphical, multi-user applications server I
can access from anywhere that passes SSH.

> http://fedoranews.org/contributors/rick_stout/freenx/

If there's significant interest in a another demo, I can muster
something for a future installfest or meeting where we've got internet
connection for everyone.

It's quite easy to setup and is a /killer app/ in getting to your home
machine from work or while on the road.

Hope NX gets included in future Fedora distro's by default and becomes
available on the standard x86-64 repositories.  Doesn't sound like the
one I'm running is 64-bit enabled, but that's the least of my concern at
this point.

Feedback on others' experiences with NX is sought for the benefit of
myself and the LUG community.  In the meantime, anyone that has
questions not answered here can feel free to contact me on or off list.

Cheers,

BC