FC3 libraries (libstdc++.so.5, libXp) Missing?

hansel at hansel.mnstate.edu hansel at hansel.mnstate.edu
Tue Nov 16 18:26:54 UTC 2004

This is a one processor opteron box. Upgrade from FC2 _FC3 using the DVD
image.

lyx, firefox and setiathome break immediately with report that the above
libraries are not found. This occurred 30 seconds after booting from
upgrade. While seti is trivial and a choice, and firefox is easily
replaced with mozilla. lyx is a workhorse. If I can get some stability, I
may be able to recompile.

If I searched correctly, the 32bit stdc++ is in /usr/lib (living happily
along side libstdc++.so.6). In the 64 bit libraries, there is no version
5, though both the i386 and the x86_64 rpms are installed.

At this point while writing the original email, the screen froze, but the
box continued and I could log in from another box to reboot. Rebooting
into runlevel 5 results in an immediate freeze -- it appears to occur when
I strike a key -- mouse cursor movements seem OK.

Also, I tried to upgrade available rpms, runing up2date manually (as root)
from a remote login, with named rpms. The rpms would download, one might
install properly, but then I would get an error message (now lost).
Running now in runlevel 3, with faithful command line interface, but I
have to get up to the GUI.

I hope I've done something wrong and that there is an easy fix. Awaiting
enlightenment from hopefully more knowledgeable folk.

--
Mark Hansel
Minnesota State University Moorhead
hansel at mnstate.edu