any idea on nVidia/ATI support on X.org on FC3?

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Thu Sep 23 15:50:32 UTC 2004

On Thu, Sep 23, 2004 at 09:29:05AM -0600, Mark Lane wrote:
> On September 23, 2004 04:51 am, Marshall Lewis <marshall at novafoundry.com>
> > Oh, and ATI still hasn't released x86_64 drivers for linux (at least
> > last time I looked (early august)... I eventually gave up on them, sold
> > my card, and bought the nVidia card I have now).
>
> Have you signed the Petition. ATI promised us drivers last year and still
> hasn't delivered them.
>
> http://www.petitiononline.com/atipet/petition.html

Yeah. I just went back there and signed the second time as a business, as we do
use Radeon and Linux at work.

> > > I understand that at least Radeon support is improved in latest X.org.
>
> Yeah maybe but you still can't get 3D from anything over r2xx chipset.

Yeah, the support is pathetic. Closed source, or no, but there are chemistry
and biology people who absolutely need speedy OpenGL, and this video driver
business baffles them completely. VMD list archives are full of support
requests.

What's really awful is that once one has configured accelerated 3d, it's
gone with the next kernel upgrade. Once one gets used to that "feature"
Xfree86 idiots change their license, and we're back a couple squares with
X.org, and underwhelming support of nVidia/ATI people. Aargh!

I'm so sick of it I'm going to get me a budget OS X Mac, just to have some
stability with 3d support (nVidia FX 5200 Ultra might look dusty to a gamer, but it's
sure enough for science applications).