From: Mark Hahn <hahn physics mcmaster ca>
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2005 15:37:51 -0400 (EDT)
To: Bill Broadley <bill cse ucdavis edu>
Cc: Jason DePaul <jdepaul techemail com>, <amd64-list redhat com>
Subject: Re: Opteron 252 install

> > I have received several HP DL385 / Opteron 252 servers and getting
> > ready to install Redhat ES 3.  My question is do I need to install
> > the x86_64 version of rhel to truely take advantage of the hardware,
>
> Yes.

for some definition of "truely" ;)
seriously, it's no crime to treat opterons as "better xeons".
numa-awareness is a good thing, 64b is a good thing and all
the extra registers are a good thing.  but you really need to
look at your applications to tell whether they're good enough.
on the other hand, there's little downside to going 64b, even
if you don't have >4GB ram, recompiled apps, etc.

you might notice larger code sizes.  you might notice problems
resulting from sizeof(void*) and sizeof(long) == 8.

on my opteron cluster, I've had no complaints, either from people
recompiling into native mode, or those running 32b executables.
(incidentally, running 32-on-64 actually does open up the memory
map somewhat - there's a lot more VM with the kernel not slicing
off the top 1G.)

regards, mark hahn.