Fedora 4 DVD install image missing?

Bryan J. Smith b.j.smith at ieee.org
Thu Aug 4 17:21:31 UTC 2005

Bruce Feist <bfeist at speakeasy.net> wrote:
> I'm about to install Fedora 4 (64 bit version) on a new
> computer.  So, I went to find the DVD image on the RH
Fedora
> site, but found only CD images.  Then I looked at the
> mirrors, and found that some of them had the DVD image as
> well as the CD images.  How can this be?

Many HTTP clients are buggy and do not support >2GiB files.
Red Hat avoids having to deal with that support issue by
only allowing >2GiB downloads via FTP.  At least in those
cases, the FTP protocol (which is a file transfer protocol
and not a stream protocol like HTTP) would at least give you
an error of some sort.

> I downloaded a DVD image from one of the mirrors, and
> burned a DVD...  Fedora's CD check during installation
> reported that it's defective.  I'm currently trying again,
> with an image from a different mirror; I'm not optimistic
> that it'll work; we'll see.  If it doesn't work, I'll
> either download the CD images from RedHat, or install from
> a 32-bit install image instead (if I get way too lazy).

Is the size of the .iso only ~2147MB?  If so, you do not
have a HTTP client that is capable of >2GiB downloads.