Fedora 4 DVD install image missing?

Jonathan Berry berryja at gmail.com
Thu Aug 4 17:25:41 UTC 2005

On 8/4/05, Bruce Feist <bfeist at speakeasy.net> wrote:
> I'm about to install Fedora 4 (64 bit version) on a new computer.  So, I
> went to find the DVD image on the RH Fedora site, but found only CD
> images.  Then I looked at the mirrors, and found that some of them had
> the DVD image as well as the CD images.  How can this be?
>
> I downloaded a DVD image from one of the mirrors, and burned a DVD...
> Fedora's CD check during installation reported that it's defective.  I'm
> currently trying again, with an image from a different mirror; I'm not
> optimistic that it'll work; we'll see.  If it doesn't work, I'll either
> download the CD images from RedHat, or install from a 32-bit install
> image instead (if I get way too lazy).

I don't think RedHat keeps the DVD isos on their servers.  You should
use a mirror.  How are you downloading the file?  Make sure the app
can handle large files.  If you can, I would suggest that you use
Bittorrent instead.  That way you will definitely get a good iso.  If
the media check fails again, try booting with "cdnodma" or "ide=nodma"
(I think those are the flags) as there have been some problems with
the media check and dma.  If it passes with those flags, then reboot
and install without them.  Otherwise, use shasum to check the iso and
burn it at a slow speed.  Media check failing doesn't imply that the
iso is bad, just that the disk is bad.  Of course if the iso is bad
then the disk will be bad too.

Jonathan