Fedora SMP dual core, dual AMD 64 processor system

Stefan Schroepfer whoknows at onlinehome.de
Tue Aug 16 20:38:22 UTC 2005

Richard Emberson wrote:

> I am interested in building a Fedora SMP dual core, dual AMD 64 bit
> processor system
> with, say, 8 Gb of memory which will serve as my development work station.

Just to be sure: Are you looking for a Dual-Socket-940 system, equipped
with two Dual-Core Opteron CPUs (totalling in four CPU cores)? Or is it
a Single-Socket-939 System, equipped with one Dual-Core Athlon64 X2 CPU,
what you are looking for?

In the latter case, it will be difficult (if not impossible) to acquire
appropriate memory modules to reach 8 GB of RAM. Single-Socket-939
Mainboards usually have four DIMM sockets, requiring unregistered
memory. So far, I didn't hear about available unregistered (DDR-SDRAM-)
DIMM modules greater than 1 GB.

Regards,
Stefan Schroepfer