Fedora SMP dual core, dual AMD 64 processor system

Bryan J. Smith b.j.smith at ieee.org
Thu Aug 18 16:16:59 UTC 2005

Richard Emberson <remberson at edgedynamics.com> wrote:
> Bryan, your article was very interesting ...

It's the 2nd (of currently 3) article in my "Dissecting"
series.
2004 April was on ATA RAID Options.
2005 September (now) is on Virtual Tape Libraries (VTLs).

> Can I assume that Figure 7 in the article is the Tyan
> S2895?

Actually Figure 7 is of a non-existant design.  This is
because mainboard vendors don't like to limit I/O if only one
CPU is used.

The CK04 Pro is the nVidia Pro 2200.
There is also the nVidia Pro 2050.
And then the AMD8131 (and 8132).

My Figure 7 only used the first (CPU#0) and last (CPU #1).
The Tyan S2895 uses all 3.
On the Tyan S2895, the 2200 and 8131 are attached to CPU#0.
The 2050 is attached to CPU#1.

As far as 4-way designs go, Figure 5 is the HP DL585.
There are two (2) AMD8131 ICs, one attached to half of the
Opterons.  Some on-board peripherals might be attached to
some.

The Sun SunFire V40z is actually a bit better (based on
another company's design) in the I/O department (the
management IC is another story compared to the HP ;-).
It uses three (3) AMD8131 ICs, two attached to one Opteron,
and one attached to another Opteron.  In the case of the two
attached to one Opteron -- the resulting four (4) PCI-X
channels are single 133MHz PCI-X channels.  That's 4 slots of
dedicated 1GBps channels of PCI-X I/O on one CPU.  The other
PCI-X channels are used for on-board peripherals and slower
66MHz slots.