MSI K8N Neo2 For Dual Core?

Lamont R. Peterson lamont at gurulabs.com
Wed Aug 24 00:08:11 UTC 2005

On Tuesday 23 August 2005 05:59pm, Robert L Cochran wrote:
> I finally found the courage to upgrade my MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum
> (MS-7025) BIOS to version 1.9 which I believe supports AMD 64 dual-core
> CPUs. I'm thinking of actually buying such a CPU. Does it makes more
> sense to replace this motherboard with a new one that might be better
> suited to dual-cores?

Personally, I would get another board, also.  Why have such a perfectly good
processor lying around without any of it's cycles running?

> I have 2 Gb of fairly cheap memory, but it bothers me that with every
> change of a motherboard, I have to put down a large sum to get a fresh
> set of memory, too. So I'd like to avoid buying a complete set of memory
> if possible. I'm currently using Adata memory.

I have no experience with Adata, I always use Crucial.

> Am I better off staying with my current board or should I trade it for
> something else?

The current board works well, yes?  Then keep it running.  No sense "throwing
away" your existing investment.

> And yes, I have been reading Bryan's postings and the responses to them
> with interest, but haven't studied them deeply.

You and me both.  To study them like I want to, I need to find some of that
"free time" everybody keeps talking about.  I just don't know what it looks
like.
--
Lamont R. Peterson <lamont at gurulabs.com>
Senior Instructor