SuperMicro H8SSL-i (ServerWorks HT1000) -- JMR SATAStor 6x2.5" in 1x5.25" array

Bryan J. Smith b.j.smith at ieee.org
Thu Dec 1 11:19:57 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-12-01 at 10:30 +0100, Eugen Leitl wrote:
> SAS drives are enterprise class, and have an equivalent price tag.

Interface has _nothing_ to do with "enterprise" class.
The actual drive mechanics have to do with "enterprise" class.

But even then, there _are_ SAS-rated versions (for cable length/spec) of
these bays too.  ;->

> That looks interesting. The airflow vents look too narrow, though, and
> there's no cooling redundancy. Are there any 24/7/365 specced
> 2.5" SATA drives?

Sure!  They typically roll of the _exact_same_ line as their SCSI/SAS/FC
brothers!  ;->

Again, interface has _nothing_ do with rating.  It just happens to be
that most ATA/SATA drives are commodity 8x5, and most SCSI/SAS/FC are
enterprise 24x7 mechanics.  But there _is_ overlap.

> I'm not aware of any. Laptop drives seem to frequently
> fail within a year in a server environment (I actually have a 60 GByte
> Samsung drive in a mini-ITX system, but it is not currently under load).

It all depends on the drive mechanics.

1.4M hours MTBF is typical "enterprise" mechanics, 24x7 operation,
10-15Krpm spindles, 18, 36, 73, 146GB in 3.5" form-factor.

0.4M hours MTBF is typical "commodity" mechanics, 8x5 (max 14x5)
operation, 100, 200, 300GB, etc... in 3.5" form-factor.

The "new generation" of "near-line" storage are "commodity" mechanics
with better lubs, higher G shock, etc... and tested for "near-line" 24x7
operation to 1.0M hours MTBF.  The idea here is that they are powered
24x7, but not necessarily spinning 24x7.

As far as 2.5" units, from all the specs I've read, _all_ the SAS units
are still the _exact_same_ mechanics as their SATA brethren.  Now there
are some more "enterprise" 7200rpm 2.5" drives out there now, but they
aren't rated as good as typical "enterprise" mechanics.

> Ridiculously overpriced.

Of course!  It's _overkill_!  ;->

I just thought I'd point it out, because it had some good pictures of
the units.

Bryan J. Smith   mailto:b.j.smith at ieee.org
http://thebs413.blogspot.com