SuperMicro H8SSL-i (ServerWorks HT1000) -- JMR SATAStor 6x2.5" in 1x5.25" array

Mark Hahn hahn at physics.mcmaster.ca
Sat Dec 3 22:24:46 UTC 2005

> As does my sidebar on "Near-line Enterprise Disk" here:
>   http://www.samag.com/documents/sam0509a/0509a_s1.htm

can you cite your source for the statement that MTBF is .4 Mhours?
I know that was a common figure for desktop drives from 8-10 years ago,
but I do also remember seeing a number of ATA disks that claimed MTBF's
around 1Mhour.

I'm guessing you just figured that
	1.4 Mhour * (10*5)/(24*7) = .417 Mhour

this is not an unreasonable guess, based on the assumption that a vendor
would try to carefully minimize the MTBF given the current 3-5 year
warranty periods, which are the same as "enterprise" products, but assuming
a different duty cycle.  I expect return rates are higher than this
calculation would lead you to expect though, and therefore vendors would
either try to get away with lower warranty periods or actually bump up
the non-enterprise MTBF to reduce RMA costs.

but it would be nice to have even a hint of actual, factual MTBF's.