SuperMicro H8SSL-i (ServerWorks HT1000) -- JMR SATAStor 6x2.5" in 1x5.25" array

Mark Hahn hahn at physics.mcmaster.ca
Sun Dec 4 21:48:23 UTC 2005

> > can you cite your source for the statement that MTBF is .4 Mhours?
>
> You can assume I'm pulling it out of my ass if you like.  ;->
>
> First off, it's commonly known that "commodity" drives are rated for
> 50,000 restarts @ 8 hours/start, resulting in the 400,000 hours MTBF.

I was asking for something other than hearsay.  yes, I'm familiar with
the prevalent rating of 50K power cycles - it's right there in the drive
specs.  I'm looking for a hard reference to an MTBF.

> Secondly, the new generation of tolerance-tested "commodity" drives are
> rated for 1,000,000 hours MTBF.

again, where do you get this number?

> Lastly, pull up just about _any_ technical specification for _any_
> Hitachi, Seagate, etc... "commodity" hard drive.  IBM and, now, Hitachi

no.  I stopped being able to find MTBF mentioned in Maxtor/Seagate/WD
drives at least 5 years ago.  HGST nee IBM did used to publish the numbers,
but it doesn't appear in the current 7K500 spec, and I think it disappeared
around the 250G generation.

> > I know that was a common figure for desktop drives from 8-10 years ago,
>
> First off, the 0.4M and 1.4M number is extremely recent -- last 3 years.

Maxtor et all stopped publishing MTBF's well over 3 years ago, and the
number was 3-500K hours at that time.  the 1.4M number is obviously still
being published in "enterprise" product lines.

> > but it would be nice to have even a hint of actual, factual MTBF's.
>
> Again, assume I'm pulling them out of my ass.  ;->

OK.  it would be polite to offer such disclaimers
at the top of your messages.