SuperMicro H8SSL-i (ServerWorks HT1000) -- JMR SATAStor 6x2.5" in 1x5.25" array

Bryan J. Smith b.j.smith at ieee.org
Mon Dec 5 00:10:31 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-12-04 at 18:50 -0500, Peter Arremann wrote:
> Yes please since in previous posts you disregard stuff by others and always
> nicely made sure they realize you talk about "commodity" disks... and now you
> refer to numbers for "enterprise versions" ...?

These *ARE* "commodity" disk lines!!!  They come of the _exact_ same
lines as their desktop versions -- _exact_ same capacities, density,
etc...!

The Seagate NL35 _are_ the Seagate Barracuda 7200.8!
The Western Digital Caviar RE _are_ the Western Digital Caviar SE!
They roll off the _same_ lines!

These are _not_ 18, 36, 73 or 146GB "enterprise" capacities, but 100,
160, 200, 250, 300, 320 and even 400GB "commodity" capacities!  These
are those same leading-edge capacities, at the same fab levels, maybe 1
series removed from the latest (e.g., Seagate now has a Barracuda 7200.9
that go up to 125-133GB/platter, 500GB capacity).

You asked me where I got the 400,000 and 1,000,000 hour MTBFs from.  I
told you no one offers the 400,000 hour MTBF on the desktop devices
anymore, but you _could_ find the 1,000,000 hour MTBF number on the new
crop of "near-line, 24x7 network managed" commodity disk capacities.

> Please either let this thread die (after all, it has been off topic for about
> a millenium now) or if you insist on proving your point answer the questions
> as they were asked and not with data that contradicts statements you
> previously made yourself.

Huh?!?!?!  What data "contradicts" what I presented before?

The vendors have taken their "commodity" capacity drives and offered a
new set of 1,000,000 hour MTBF versions that test to higher tolerances.
And you pay a premium for them!

But they are _not_ the "enterprise" capacity drives with 1,400,000 hour
MTBF drives.  Those come off entirely different lines!  Different
platter densities _entirely_!

Bryan J. Smith   mailto:b.j.smith at ieee.org
http://thebs413.blogspot.com