SuperMicro H8SSL-i (ServerWorks HT1000) -- JMR SATAStor 6x2.5" in 1x5.25" array

Bryan J. Smith b.j.smith at ieee.org
Mon Dec 5 00:28:20 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-12-04 at 19:10 -0500, Bryan J. Smith wrote:
> The Seagate NL35 _are_ the Seagate Barracuda 7200.8!
> The Western Digital Caviar RE _are_ the Western Digital Caviar SE!
> They roll off the _same_ lines!
> The vendors have taken their "commodity" capacity drives and offered a
> new set of 1,000,000 hour MTBF versions that test to higher tolerances.
> And you pay a premium for them!

Let's make one thing clear here, if the vendors are charging a premium
for a 1,000,000 hour MTBF version of a commodity disk, then you are
definitely _not_ getting anything _near_ 1,000,000 hour MTBF when you
buy the cheaper OEM/retail version.

I thought some of you could put 2 and 2 together, but apparently you
cannot.

The current structure continues to be, as I *ALWAYS* said ...

    Commodity OEM/Retail Standard:    400,000 hours MTBF
  Commodity, Enterprise Tolerance:  1,000,000 hours MTBF
                       Enterprise:  1,400,000 hours MTBF

In the last few years, the ambient tolerance of the commodity capacity
has gone up from 40C to 60C.  Enterprise capacity has always been 55C.
If you look through spec sheets of various vendors, you will find these
numbers too.

I also note that some vendors are now claiming 1,200,000 hours MTBF on
some of their newer, commodity capacity, enterprise tested tolerance
drives.  E.g., the Western Digital Caviar RE2.

> But they are _not_ the "enterprise" capacity drives with 1,400,000 hour
> MTBF drives.  Those come off entirely different lines!  Different
> platter densities _entirely_!

BTW, I _never_ said the vendor didn't call the 1,000,000 hour a
"commodity" disk.  I mean, if they said it's a "commodity" disk, why
would you pay extra for it?  ;->

But make no mistake, they are the same "commmodity" disk capacities.
They are _not_ the "enterprise" disk capacities that are 18, 36, 73 and
146GB to date.

With that said ...

Now Peter, do you want to tell the group about our little "history"?  Or
do you like to just challenge me on every list we're on, and the
countless times I've sent you detailed information on various things
with regards to how the AMD64 technology works over on the CentOS list
(e.g., 48-bit PAE mode -- which you were so ignorant of you looked like
an ass last time we went around ;-)?

Bryan J. Smith   mailto:b.j.smith at ieee.org
http://thebs413.blogspot.com