SuperMicro H8SSL-i (ServerWorks HT1000) -- JMR SATAStor 6x2.5" in 1x5.25" array

Maurice Hilarius maurice at harddata.com
Wed Dec 7 19:48:38 UTC 2005

Mark Hahn wrote:

>>As does my sidebar on "Near-line Enterprise Disk" here:
>>  http://www.samag.com/documents/sam0509a/0509a_s1.htm
>>

>can you cite your source for the statement that MTBF is .4 Mhours?
>I know that was a common figure for desktop drives from 8-10 years ago,
>but I do also remember seeing a number of ATA disks that claimed MTBF's
>around 1Mhour.
>
>I'm guessing you just figured that
>	1.4 Mhour * (10*5)/(24*7) = .417 Mhour
>
>this is not an unreasonable guess, based on the assumption that a vendor
>would try to carefully minimize the MTBF given the current 3-5 year
>warranty periods, which are the same as "enterprise" products, but assuming
>a different duty cycle.  I expect return rates are higher than this
>calculation would lead you to expect though, and therefore vendors would
>either try to get away with lower warranty periods or actually bump up
>the non-enterprise MTBF to reduce RMA costs.
>
>but it would be nice to have even a hint of actual, factual MTBF's.

Just to wade in here, the new S-ATA RAID drives from WD ( 2500Yd and
4000YR) have claimed MTBF of 1.2 million hours.
Seagate also have very long MTBFs on their NL 35 models

--

With our best regards,

Maurice W. Hilarius        Telephone: 01-780-456-9771
Hard Data Ltd.  FAX:       01-780-456-9772
11060 - 166 Avenue         email:maurice at harddata.com
Edmonton, AB, Canada       http://www.harddata.com/
   T5X 1Y3