SuperMicro H8SSL-i (ServerWorks HT1000) -- providing technical information

Bryan J. Smith b.j.smith at ieee.org
Thu Dec 8 01:03:43 UTC 2005

Peter Arremann <loony at loonybin.org> wrote:
> Did you have a hot spare? We usually run 0+1 or 10 and have
> a hot spare.

Yes.  Unfortunately, it was on an older Escalade 7000 series
and RAID-5 rebuilds take much longer (and run much slower
when deprecated) than a 3Ware 9000 series.

> Yes - but performance on a rebuild is an issue there...

Not with a PowerPC or XScale on-board.

> If I can I go 10 or 0+1 as well. But we use raid 5 where we
> don't have enough capacity and even there we had no issues.

The chance is slim, I agree.  But as I said before, sigma has
a way of catching up to you.

> *nods* We do that too now. We had problems RMAing regular
> pata/sata disks that we ran 24x7.

Hey, I just want to give people options and I try to do my
best to explain things -- such as what the more enterprise
options are.