Fedora Core 4 For Dual Cores?

Lamont R. Peterson lamont at gurulabs.com
Tue Dec 13 23:22:25 UTC 2005

On Tuesday 13 December 2005 04:16pm, Robert L Cochran wrote:
> I'm planning on ordering an AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400 with an Asrock
> 939Dual-SATA2 board pretty soon. Will Fedora Core 4 x86_64 be able to
> recognize and take advantage of both cpu cores?

Yes...by running an SMP (Symmetrical MultiProcessing kernel.

> Is there some sort of
> test I can run to see if Fedora detects the 2 cores?

Install it.

During installation, anaconda (the install program) will detect that there are
multiple processors available and automatically select and install the
correct SMP kernel, also making that kernel the default at boot time (unless
you tweak the bootloader configuration, of course).
--
Lamont R. Peterson <lamont at gurulabs.com>
Senior Instructor