Tyan/Broadcom issues?

James Welsh jwelsh at digitalspy.co.uk
Fri Feb 11 20:16:17 UTC 2005

Hi everyone,

We're considering moving to FC3 from FreeBSD 5.3, for two of our
Opteron-based servers.  The reason we're moving, incidentally, is because of
an apparent incompatibility between FreeBSD 5.3 and our motherboard (Tyan
S2882 Thunder K86) and its Broadcom integrated NICs with >4GB RAM.  I've
been reading this list and have noticed the Tyan name being brought up quite
often and so I was wondering whether anyone can definitively say whether FC3
x86_64 is stable with a system of specs similar to these:

Motherboard: Tyan S2882 Thunder K86 with U320 SCSI
CPUs: AMD Opteron 248 2.2 GHz, 1MB cache x2
Memory: 8GB
SCSI: Adaptec AIC-7902W dual channel
RAID: LSI MegaRAID SCSI 320-1 64-bit
Network Adapters: 2x Broadcom BCM5704C 1000Mbit integrated, 1x Intel PRO/100
integrated

Any help/advice very gratefully received.  Basically I want to ensure that
we're not going to get a nasty surprise with the motherboard/NICs like we
had with freebsd.

Many thanks,

James Welsh