install of 32bit libs conflict with 64bit versions -- summary and further question

Jon LaBadie jlabadie at acm.org
Sun Feb 13 23:53:48 UTC 2005

Jon LaBadie wrote:
> On RHEL 3, x86_64 I've been trying to install some needed 32bit libs.
> Most have installed without trouble, but a few report conflicts with
> pathnames in the already installed 64bit versions.  As an example,
> the glib-1.2 rpm installs /usr/bin/glib-config and a header file,
> each with the same pathname, but different contents between the
> two packages.
>
> How should one handle this type of situation?
>
> I'm not looking for specifics about this particular library,
> though that would be appreciated, but general guidelines.

Someone pointed out to me in private email that /usr/bin/glib-config
is part of the glib-devel rpm, not the glib rpm.  That showed me the
error of my ways ;)

When I looked at the installed packages I noted the x86_64 version of
the glib-devel package was installed but overlooked the glib package
which was also installed.  It was actually the 32 bit version of glib
I wanted but was trying to install glib-devel.

Download the right package and it installs fine.

That raises a hypothetical question though, suppose I did want to do
both 64 and 32 bit development on the same system, would I not need
both glib-devel rpms?  And as I found out, there are conflicts between
the x86_64 and i386 glib-devel rpm's.  How is this handled?