FC3 won't boot on Gigabyte K8NS-Ultra-939

Doug Stewart dstewart at atl.lmco.com
Fri Jan 14 23:34:54 UTC 2005

Robert L Cochran wrote:
> You won't be able to use a cheap power supply with a 6800 card. And if
> the supply is really bad, it can damage your system components. You need
> at least a 430 watt power supply for that video card. Antec's top of the
> line supply recently got the best rating from Maximum PC magazine, which
> rated 7 different power supplies. You might want to read that. PC Power
> & Cooling's TurboCool came in second.
>
> Bob Cochran
>
> Doug Stewart wrote:
>
>> Doug Stewart wrote:
>>
>>> Howdy all,
>>> I'm hoping you could point me in the right direction on this one.
>>>
>>> I've recently acquired a spankin' new machine based on the
>>> K8NS-Ultra. I've got a single SATA drive attached to the Sil
>>> controller (I know, I know, the nForce SATA controller supposedly IS
>>> a Sil one; I'm talking about the separate one).
>>>
>>> 've installed FC3 (x86-64 edition) twice on it. The install goes
>>> flawlessly, but when I reboot, I never even get to the grub screen -
>>> the bios just complains "No operating systems found". FC seems to
>>> think I'm installing on /dev/sda, so on a hunch, I tried booting off
>>> a rescue disk and running `grub-install /dev/sda`. This took far
>>> longer than I have ever encountered on a non-AMD64 system, but
>>> eventually came back and reported no errors.
>>>
>>> Upon reboot, I still received "No operating systems found". Help!
>>>

>> Thanks to all who have replied to me off-list. I'm thinking that,
>> based upon some additional Google researching (and the fact that the
>> power supply fan alarm is going off and issues I've had with a GeForce
>> 6800 in the machine) that it may, in fact, be a power supply issue.
>>
>> I'll check back in once I know more.

I was using an Xconnect, which was supposed to be pretty good.  A new
one is about to be RMA'd from my supplier.

In the meantime, I got a Uneeq 500W supply, reran rescue mode and
manually wrote the partition table to the MBR with fdisk.  Everything
booted A-OK, so I guess I'll subsist on a substandard PS until the
Xconnect comes in.

Thanks everyone for your help.

--
Doug Stewart