x86_64 laptop recommendations?

Gene Czarcinski gene at czarc.net
Tue Jan 4 12:51:36 UTC 2005

On Tuesday 04 January 2005 04:48, John Haxby wrote:
> My laptop is due for replacement and I'd like to replace it with an
> x86_64-based one.   Does anyone have anything they recommend or
> recommend avoidng?   My main requirement is that it should have a
> 1920x1200 screen: my old Dell laptop has that and I don't want anything
> smaller.   Built-in wireless is also a definite plus, preferably with
> some chipset that is natively supported by Linux.

I recently (late November) purchased a Compaq R3000z with the 1920x1200 screen
and am well pleased with it.  For some reason, the Compaq is slightly cheaper
than its more or less identical HP equivalent.

After squeezing down the size of the WinXP partition (I got the slightly
faster 80GB disk), I did both FC3-i386 and FC3-x86_64 everything installs and
use a minimal install as a "boot director" to select what to run (WinXP,
FC3-i386 or FC3-x86_64).  One caution, there appears to be something wrong
with FC3 install (anaconda) because it does not reliably initialize grub into
the MBR so you will need to bootup in rescue mode and manually execute:

  grub-install  '(hd0)'

The only thing I have not gotten working yet is builtin wireless (there is no
x86_64 driver available yet) and USB mouse.  While you can get a USB mouse to
work if you boot acpi=off, that is no solution since you need acpi=on (the
default) so that you can change the cpuspeed on the fly otherwise you run at
low speed.

Getting the display to work took some work but it does work.  First of all,
you cannot configure 1920x1200 with system-config-display but need to hard
create a /etc/X11/xorg.conf file (mine is attached).

Then you have a problem in that if you switch from the graphical display to on
of the text VT screens, the display loses sync.  One solution is to use the
"special-key"+F4 to select the alternate display during bootup but before any
graphical stuff starts  (even if you do not have an alternate display
connected) ... I disabled rhgb.  For some reason, this makes everything work.

Of course it is difficult to get the timing right so I use a slightly
different solution which, some claim, may have other problems even if it has
worked for me.  I added a simple script as /etc/init.d/startfb to load rivafb
during the boot (after disabling rhgb so no graphics starts).  This enables
the frame buffer for text mode and, again, "fixes" the text-mode sync when
you also use graphics.

BTW, I do NOT use nvidia's driver but instead the nv driver from xorg-x11.
For one thing, I could not get nvidia's driver to work.

OK, so the remaining problems are that the synaptic touchpad does not have
full functionality (only works as a dumb two-button PS2 mouse), the USB mouse
does not work with acpi=on, and there is no builtin wireless driver for the
x86_64.  Check bugzilla for other info on the problems I found as well as
possible others..

One source of info that I recently found is
http://lists.pcxperience.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/linuxr3000

Google will also find other sources of info.
--
Gene