Opteron 32-bit or 64-bit

Miller, Marc marc.miller at amd.com
Tue Jan 25 19:48:37 UTC 2005

Most existing 32-bit applications should run on the 64-bit version of
the OS.  Even if you don't have 64-bit applications, 64-bit RHEL 3 has
better NUMA scheduling and optimization than the 32-bit version of the
same operating system.  So in the general case, you will get better
performance from the 64-bit OS on Opteron than you do from a 32-bit OS.