AMD-64 large memory...

Maurice Hilarius maurice at harddata.com
Sat Mar 5 16:46:33 UTC 2005

Eugen Leitl wrote:

>>For example 32GB?
>>No problems.
>>Used FC, Tyan S4882 board (AMD chipset)
>>

>Careful with Tyan: http://www.beowulf.org/archive/2004-October/010956.html
>and other threads.

Absolutely.
Highlights why it is a perilous path to go the DIY approach.

The facts stated are quite correct.
DOA rates on Tyan motherboards are indeed 10% to 15%
As a result we routinely bring in an overage, and all boards get tested
within 48 hours of receipt.
24 hour burnin HAS to be done before ANY board can be considered a
candidate to build a system.

Before we think that makes Tyan POS, we see similar DOA rates on Intel,
Supermicro, etc..

And regarding the earlier comment about sourcing RAM via "Pricewatch"
the same comments apply in spades.
If you buy RAM by that route I can nearly guarantee you will have grief.

With our best regards,

Maurice W. Hilarius        Telephone: 01-780-456-9771
Hard Data Ltd.  FAX:       01-780-456-9772
11060 - 166 Avenue         email:maurice at harddata.com
Edmonton, AB, Canada       http://www.harddata.com/
   T5X 1Y3

This email, message, and content, should be considered confidential,
and is the copyrighted property of Hard Data Ltd., unless stated otherwise.