AMD-64 large memory...

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Sun Mar 6 11:01:12 UTC 2005

On Sat, Mar 05, 2005 at 07:48:50PM -0500, Robert L Cochran wrote:

> It's quite true I can't afford one of these babies. But it still leads

If you need some >4 GByte memory this either means large modules, or
ECC/registered, which is not cheap. With 16 GByte memory costs dominate in
comparison to a vanilla dual-Opteron.

> me to another question. Where could I go to be shown how to build,
> configure, and test these systems? Or are they pretty much the same as
> consumer systems -- I've built 3 single processor systems for home use.

Is this a rackmount, or a standalone server? How many rack units high?
Do you need remote management? Is this a mission-critical system?
It all depends on answers to these questions.

> Would these be the same, except one installs more CPUs, heat sinks, and
> memory. Or does it take specialized knowledge?

Cooling 1U systems is nontrivial. I doubt there are dual-Opteron kits for 1U.
You should have no issues with a 4U case, or a standalone
server.