[OT] Tyan S2895 K8WE and EPV12V/SSI 3.51 power supply

Bryan J. Smith b.j.smith at ieee.org
Mon Mar 7 01:13:08 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-03-06 at 18:39 -0500, Robert L Cochran wrote:
> Well, I wasn't sure if the 850W supply would fit your needs, but since
> it is a brand new offering from PC Power & Cooling, I thought I'd pass
> it on. Yes it is expensive -- I've read in Maximum PC magazine that it
> will run about USD $430. But if it meets your needs and can do big mean
> motherboards then it is worth it, hmnm?

It's overkill for the S2895.  But thanx anyway.

> Some day I'll build a multiprocessor machine. If the various parts are
> available on the market and one only needs to be handy with a phillips
> screwdriver plus take care with antistatic grounding, then I'll give it
> a whirl. It's true I need to get somewhat richer than I am now, but we
> all need goals....

I am _not_ building it because it's multi-CPU.  Multi-CPU matters
little.  I'm building it because it has about 3x the I/O of even a new
generation PCIe system, let alone 10x the I/O of yester-year's PC
generation.

So many people spend a _lot_ of money on CPU and other details, then put
all of that I/O on a _single_, _shared_ 32-bit at 33MHz PCI bus.  One that
is wholely _inadequate_ for today's disk+NIC+audio.

Bryan J. Smith                   mailto:b.j.smith at ieee.org