Can't install FC4 on a ABS Mayhem F-15 A40 (Turion 64 MT-32) laptop

Vladimir G. Ivanovic vladimir at acm.org
Sat Oct 29 15:58:06 UTC 2005

Thanks for the suggestion, but ... no. Still doesn't work.

The behavior is slightly different: I get a blank screen instead of
an error message and followed by a kernel panic.

I'll try looking up the Bugzilla report to see if that sheds any more
light on my problem.

--- Vladimir

--
Vladimir G. Ivanovic
Palo Alto, CA 94306

    b>
    b> On Fri, 28 Oct 2005, Vladimir G. Ivanovic wrote:
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I can't get either FC4-i386 or FC4-x86_64 to install on my ABS Mayhem
    >> F-15 A40 Turion 64 (MT-32) laptop. I get
    >>
    >> VFS: Cannot open root device "NULL"or unknown block(3,2)
    >> Please append a correct "root=" boot option.
    >>
    >> not far into the boot process.

    b>
    b> I don't have the bugzilla reference to hand, but I think this is a
    b> "known problem" and one I've seen on some Opteron machines.
    b>
    b> The workaround is to type some garbage into the installer at the prompt
    b> where you'd type "linux text".  For example, type "rubbish", there will
    b> be an error.  Then type what you actually want, e.g. "linux" or "linux
    b> text" and it should proceed normally.