generating 32-bit RPM's

John Haxby jch at scalix.com
Fri Sep 9 21:02:06 UTC 2005

Joshua Jensen wrote:

>>But, 32-bit and 64-bit are both x86.  It's not like he's trying to
>>compile for SPARC or PowerPC here, which *would* need a
>>cross-compiler.  See below.
>>

>No they aren't.  A 32 bit binary is very very different than a 64bit
>one.  Sure, the machine code from IA32 looks more similar to x86-64 code
>than say 64bit PPC, but it isn't the same and they should be considered
>completely seperate archs.

Well, that's a bit strong.   I can compile and run programs on an i386
machine and copy those same compiled programs to an x86_64 machine and
they run just fine.   Similarly, If I "gcc -m32" something on the x86_64
machine it runs on the i386 machine.   The only thing that won't work is
a "gcc -m64" program running on an i386.    They may be different
architectures, but, really and truly you can regard the x86_64 as a
strict superset of i386 from an application programming point of view.

Compare that with, say, SPARC64 vs i386.   There's nothing I can compile
on either platform that will run on both.   Apart from python and java
maybe :-)

jch