Kernel source -- CASE IN POINT (does anyone remember the original thread?)

Bryan J. Smith b.j.smith at ieee.org
Tue Apr 18 17:43:26 UTC 2006

Arjan van de Ven <arjan at fenrus.demon.nl> wrote:
> no you made the assumption that I was blaming nvidia for not
> keeping the other driver uptodate. I was blaming having a binary
> driver at all (or I could even go as far as having an external
> other driver) for causing users not to report errors or even
> wanting to help fix things.  Different beasts.

Okay, I stand clarified.

But here's the deal.  Users expect it to work "out-of-the-box," so
most users _do_ report the issue.

But don't shoot nVidia for offering another avenue.  In fact, was it
not Intel that did the same with the e100/e1000 drivers, before it
was GPL?  I remember a lot of transmitter problems that were solved.
;->

Same issue.  And nVidia is quickly moving GPL as fast as they can,
just like Intel did.  It doesn't happen overnight.

There's also the added issue that _unlike_ Intel, nVidia is *NOT* the
800lbs. gorilla that can force everyone to buy _only_ their Intel
product.  Let's remember that not everyone out there can act like
Intel and Microsoft in forcing Tawainese vendors to only use their
MAC+PHY combination.

In fact, using only Intel's single combination of a MAC+PHY is really
more of a side effect of a near-monopoly (Intel) without competition.
 So don't shoot nVidia for not being "big enough" to do what Intel
forces everyone else to do.  ;->

--
Bryan J. Smith   Professional, Technical Annoyance
b.j.smith at ieee.org    http://thebs413.blogspot.com