OpenGL = IP mindfield, Intel is problem #1, vendors need to adhere to LSB -- WAS: Kernel source

Maurice Hilarius maurice at harddata.com
Tue Apr 25 14:47:36 UTC 2006

Bryan J. Smith wrote:
> ..
>
> Well, regardless who started the thread, I sure know how to finish it
> off.  Sorry I get heated sometimes.

I think  it is time to "throw another log on the fire"

I recently received an email from Kevin Carmony of the company called
"Linspire" (formerly Lindows).
Here is a quote from that email:

> However, there is a very important reason why I'm so happy with Linux
> today. In addition to the things I mentioned above, Linux works for me
> because I can play .mp3 files on my iPod, watch a DVD movie on my
> laptop, use Java, Flash and Real. I can view movie trailers on the web
> with Apple's QuickTime, and view and print Adobe .pdf files. I have
> advanced 3D support for my nVidia and ATI graphic cards. However, what
> many may not understand, is that for me to enjoy all of these things,
> Linspire uses legally licensed, proprietary codecs, drivers and
> software from third-party companies. Without utilizing this software,
> Linux is right back where I started five years ago: unusable.
>
> ..
> Here in this Linspire Letter, however, I'd like to discuss the main
> reason the Freespire announcement is such big news. Yes, it's great
> that Freespire is "free" (as in it doesn't cost anything to download
> it), but that's not really why we named it Freespire. We mostly like
> the name Freespire because Freespire offers "freedom of choice." You
> see, Freespire is the first free, community-driven Linux to provide
> the option of including proprietary drivers in the core distribution.
>
> Freespire is very unique for open source Linux distributions, in that
> it will allow users the choice to download a version that is 100%
> open-source OR one that includes proprietary software. Freespire is
> venturing into new territory by offering a free community Linux
> operating system that includes the option for legally licensed
> proprietary software pieces at its core distribution. Without this
> choice, desktop Linux's market adoption will continue its slow creep
> toward mainstream acceptance.
>
> ..
>
> I know there will be some who will abhor the idea of offering
> proprietary software to be used next to open source, but I honestly
> believe it's time to take a realistic approach. The world just isn't
> going to throw away their millions of iPods, or stop watching DVDs.
> Until viable alternatives emerge, Linux needs to offer a total, usable
> experience. Freespire doesn't force any proprietary code on anyone, it
> simply gives them that choice as an option.

Some links:
http://www.freespire.org/

http://www.freespire.org/support/faqs

Freespire Community Project:
http://www.freespire.org/community

--

With our best regards,

Maurice W. Hilarius        Telephone: 01-780-456-9771
Hard Data Ltd.  FAX:       01-780-456-9772
11060 - 166 Avenue         email:maurice at harddata.com
Edmonton, AB, Canada       http://www.harddata.com/
   T5X 1Y3