Server For Tutoring Organization

Robert L Cochran cochranb at speakeasy.net
Wed Jan 25 22:15:12 UTC 2006

I've recently begun consulting for an organization that provides
tutoring assistance in a specific area. I'm specifically being asked to
fix their network and application software issues. I've just started
there, and I'm accordingly just learning their network and workstation
mix.  The  organization's leader is definite that a new server machine
is wanted. Currently, a Dell Optiplex GX260 is running in a database
server configuration. The organization has 20 student classes,
approximately 10 full time staff and 100 tutors. The 10 "lab" computers
are in constant use and the 4D server software is getting a lot of use.
There are another 12 or so computers for the regular staff. Everyone is
complaining of slow response times except for internet access. Everyone
wants to replace the Dell with something more powerful.

Is there one server box that can keep up with the demands of such an
organization and accomodate some growth? Surprisingly enough, it looks
like a rack enclosure was given to the organization, and the Dell box is
enthroned on the bottom of this. Some of the rack mounts are used to
support the monitor which is a few feet above it. I'm not sure of this
is a 1U rack.

While I am not new to networking, I am new to patch panels and rack
mounted servers. I have a lot to learn here. Advice is appreciated. (Is
there also a mailing list where I can ask questions about hardware such
as patch panels and how to trace which computer a particular termination
is serving?)

Thanks

Bob Cochran