DDR or DDR2

Bryan J. Smith b.j.smith at ieee.org
Tue Jan 31 20:27:45 UTC 2006

"Bryan J. Smith" <b.j.smith at ieee.org> wrote:

> Consider Opteron then.  The Socket-939 Opteron 165 or 175 are
> great products and tested to 24x7 operation, such as with
> multi-day (or week) simulations.

Consider the nVidia nForce Pro 2200 instead of the nForce4 as well.
If you want SLI and/or an extra x4-8 PCIe channels for a storage
controller, go for the Pro 2200 + 2050 combination.  It's available
in a select, few single socket mainboards.

If you need PCI-X, get one with the AMD8131 (or AMD8132) added,
although those are almost always dual-socket.

I'd mention the ServerWorks HT1000, but it doesn't have PCIe video,
just x8 for storage.  I guess the HT2000+HT1000 is an option, but
then I've only seen those in dual-socket (and I like the
nFPro2200+2050+AMD8131 better there).

--
Bryan J. Smith     Professional, Technical Annoyance
b.j.smith at ieee.org      http://thebs413.blogspot.com