Suse 10.0 vs. Fedora core 5

Lamont R. Peterson lamont at gurulabs.com
Tue Mar 28 08:25:15 UTC 2006

On Saturday 25 March 2006 08:16am, Tamal wrote:
> I had selected maximum packages I could select in both destributions.

In SUSE, that would be something like 3000+ packages (out of 3400+).
For FC, that would be approximately 1600 package (I think).

But still, I don't see any relevance or viability to saying, "SUSE must be
better because they install lots of junk I don't need in only 1 hour, where
FC took me 2 hours to install all that junk and there wasn't as much junk."
Um, maybe I just found the relevance?

> Another information:
> Fedora core 4 (x86) with minimal installation takes 13 minutes, whereas

I still don't think that Red Hat (RHEL or FC) minimal installs are very
minimal.  On FC4, I can strip out 60 packages pretty quickly following a
minimal install.  Sure a few usually end up coming back due to dependencies,
but most don't.  All that without even really trying.

> Mandriva 2006 x86-64 with standard (default) installation takes 10 min.

No comment.
--
Lamont R. Peterson <lamont at gurulabs.com>
Senior Instructor