[Amqp-security-list] Re: MInutes from 12/1 AMQP Security call

Ted Ross tross at redhat.com
Mon Dec 10 16:05:09 UTC 2007

Subbu,

I agree that the header signature should be close to the header.  The
problem I'm seeing is that if the signature is part of the header,
intermediaries will need to modify the header before calculating the
signature.  Rather than doing a quick SHA1 or MD5 across the header
segment as it arrives, the implementer will either have to make a
modified copy of the segment, or will have to parse the header and hash
it in a piecemeal fashion.  Bear in mind that a broker is going to be
checking headers at rates of millions per second.  Adding computational
complexity will introduce performance bottlenecks.

I still think that having a separate signature-context segment
immediately following the headers is a better approach.  The signature
is still close to the headers and the computation of the header
signature does not need to be embedded into the header-parsing function.

We can discuss this during today's call.

-Ted