docs on updating

Is there an FAQ or a doc pointer that can tell me how to properly update
my distro and properly regenerate the require db files, etc for added and
updated packages.

I'm familiar enough with anaconda that I've done this with no problems on
Red Hat 6.2 and even 7.2, but I believe with 7.2, since the multiple cd
thing, I wasn't doing it entirely correct.  This is for nfs installs only.
I remember there being a doc out there but I've since lost the pointer.
Any help is appreciated of course.

Thanks
-jeremy