Re: about anaconda

On Sun, Dec 22, 2002 at 07:09:46AM -0500, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
>   case in point -- a few years ago, i mentioned to a red hat
> employee that i was designing a course called "red hat system
> administration", that i was going to offer to some of my current
> clients who were interested.
>   his response was to *immediately* tell me that that would
> be a violation of red hat's trademark -- to have the name
> "red hat" in the title of the course.  i'm not sure i see
> how else i could name the course -- if it's designed to teach
> people specifically how to administer a red hat system, what
> *else* could i call it?

Using the name in a descriptive sense is *CLEARLY* allowed by fair use.
(IANAL, blah blah blah.) You can definitely name a course that as long as
you don't attempt to represent yourself as Red Hat or the course as being
official.

In fact, I think it's very arguable that the "you can't resell the product
without changing the name" rule is not one with a lot of legal teeth.
However, legal teeth should not be sole the measure of whether guidelines
like these are followed.