Re: Trademark Law

On Mon, 2002-12-23 at 10:25, John wrote:
> On 23 Dec 2002, Stephen Smoogen wrote:
>
> Red Hat _chose_ to apply the GPL to its software collection. Red Hat
> calls its collation "Red Hat Linux" but limits my rights to call the
> same software "Red Hat Linux" in arbitrary ways.

My memory is a bit faulty, but from the far past I remember someone
trying to get the FSF and Red Hat into a tiff on this.. but just got a
'So??? And they are breaking the GPL where?' from the FSF.
You might get a different reaction as I could be remembering differently
and it was a long time ago.

> That has nothing to do with my rights under the GPL to redistribute
> subject software under arrangements agreeable to myself and my clients.

The GPL itself puts limits on certain arrangements of redistribution (no
source, etc etc).

--
Stephen John Smoogen		smoogen lanl gov
Los Alamos National Labrador  CCN-2 B-Schedule  PH: