ftp install with userid:pw (fwd)

I am trying to use a non anonymous userid and pw from within the ks.cfg
file.  If I use anonymous it works fine.  If I use

url --url ftp://user:pw host example com

it fails with unable to receive netstg2.img.  The alt-3 console shows

URL_STAGE_MAIN - url is ftp://user:pw host example com
url address host.example.com
url prefix /9/i386/

Then a few transferring messages but the server shows no record of contact
from this client and even a tcpdump on the server showed no contact.
Before I open up a bug I wanted to make sure I wasn't doing anything
incorrectly.

bugzilla openplayground com