redhat-config-packages failure for home-made DVD

First of all, I'm wondering if this is the right place to ask questions about redhat-config-packages... I think I'll try:

I'm testing a custom installation DVD containing Red Hat Linux 9 and some additions, and all the required files for anaconda boot and execution. OS installation using the DVD works just fine, but if I start redhat-config-packages with no arguments when the DVD is mounted, or double-click on one of the rpms, I get a message saying that /mnt/cdrom is not a valid installation source. However (and this is the really weird part), if I issue

redhat-config-packages --tree=/mnt/cdrom

on the command line, the installer GUI starts as expected and package installation works just fine.

Can anyone explain this?

- Toralf