Re: More thoughts as we go to git

On Fri, 2007-11-02 at 13:16 +0100, Martin Sivak wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 02, 2007 at 10:21:55AM +0100, Joel Andres Granados wrote:
> > Jeremy Katz wrote:
> > >So, a couple more thoughts for consideration as we move to git.
> > >Opinions, thoughts, etc appreciated
> > >
> > >* Get rid of the ChangeLog.  We have the information in the commit
> > >history and git makes it nice and easy to get that.  If we want to still
> > >have a ChangeLog in the tarball, we could generate one when creating the
> > >archive.  Doing this leads to a need to ensure we have good commit
> > >messages, but that's largely the case already
> > Don't like doing the log thing twice (Change Log and then cvs or git log :)
> > Lets just do it once !!!
> Git can also give you the list of modified files and I've been actually using
> this approach for some time now to generate the changelog and commit
> message template.
> (It involved some bash hacking, but worked pretty well ;)

Yeah, it can be done, but it's mostly busy work.  Also, it makes merging
work less well.  Especially if you do it frequently across branches.

> >* Don't carry the RPM spec file in the repository; have it just in the
> >packaging repo instead.
> It does not hurt to have it there just in case we need to build some
> non-standard rpm... even if we do not I would leave it in the upstream repo.

The main reason I lean towards not is (as my other reply states) that
syncing changes between two places for the same file is a little
annoying.  I don't feel too strongly either way, though