Re: [rhel6-branch] logging: put timestamps in /tmp/syslog.

On 12/08/2010 06:05 AM, Ales Kozumplik wrote:
On 12/08/2010 04:57 PM, Ales Kozumplik wrote:
Related: rhbz#636570
---
loader/init.c | 139
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++----------------

This is rhel6 only thing (there's rsyslog doing this on master). I hope
this won't turn out too controversial. I need to find out when
particular entris in a syslog from the bug appears in the logs so I can
narrow down what command triggered it. The entries are

<3>end_request: I/O error, dev dm-0, sector 0
<3>end_request: I/O error, dev dm-0, sector 0
<3>end_request: I/O error, dev dm-0, sector 0
<3>end_request: I/O error, dev dm-0, sector 0

and I have seen (and couldn't use due to lacking timestamps) something
similar in another multipath bug too. So the sooner it's in the better.

I wish the code was simpler but this is the simplest safe thing I could
come up with (it had glib and regexes too at one point). I tested the
new functions outside installer so I could run them through valgrind.

Would it not be better to backport rsyslog to rhel6-branch? We have let that bake in Fedora for a while now and I feel it's pretty reliable. I would rather us go with rsyslog at this point.

--
David Cantrell <dcantrell redhat com>
Red Hat / Honolulu, HI