Re: Seeding certificates at install time

On Sat, Nov 27, 2010 at 11:09:55PM -0700, Philip Prindeville wrote:
> Regarding a posting recently on fedora-devel, I'm considering what would be involved in making the self-signed certificates that various RPM's install as part of their %post/%pre section (openssl, sendmail, mod_ssl, proftpd, cyrus-imapd, etc) be a bit more meaningful than just:

I think this is what /etc/pki/tls/openssl.cnf is for. You edit it and
set the *_default values and they are used for any openssl cert
operations.

> The other thing that would be useful to have, but this is more of a packaging issue, would be to be able to re-run the %post/%pre scripts (or the idempotent sections of them) that generate certificates or otherwise network identity-derived configuration.

I think it would be useful for the packages doing this to break these
out into helper scripts that they install, and then call them from %post
instead of trying to hack up some kind of mechanism to re-run them
blindly.