f16 branch

I created an f16-branch today from master.  Since we haven't really done
anything outrageous lately, I feel this is safe.  If anything, it gets
us more bug fixes for F16.

So now, continue using master for the new stuff that's bound for F17.
I'll pull things over onto f16-branch as appropriate.  Just make sure to
note in your patch emails whether you think it's appropriate.