Re: Where are disks without partition table?

On Mar 22, 2012, at 4:31 AM, Jan Safranek wrote:

> Hi,
>
> let's assume someone plugs in a disk without any partition table, like this:
> dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda bs=1K count=1

FWIW that command will only wipe an MBR and a GPT primary header. The primary table starts to appear at LBA 2 through 34 (which is probably invalidated without its header). However, there's a backup GPT header and tables at LBA minus-34 to minus-1, from the last LBA which is still valid. I have no idea how the kernel or devicetree behave with such a disk, that lacks an MBR and GPT primary header, but contains other GPT structures.

Chris Murphy