Re-using existing partitions for root--Anaconda 19.x

In anaconda 19.20 (and older) I have been trying to reuse an existing btrfs partition as / and the reformat box is greyed out. The partitioner refuses to use the partition with error msg "you must create a filesystem on the root device." But with a greyed out reformat box how do we do this? Yes, I can delete and recreate the partition, but shouldn't we be able to reuse as long as we request that the partition be reformatted?

TIA

--
Regards,
OldFart