Re: draft patches for syslinux/extlinux support

On Apr 26, 2013, at 3:04 PM, Bryan J Smith <b j smith ieee org> wrote:

Just for my own knowledge, what kind of effort (upstream) is required to add XFS support to SYSLINUX for boot/root?

Seems difficult. XFS doesn't have a bootloader pad at all, so there's no place for syslinux/extlinux to place its small bit code into as well as the block list that points to ldlinux.sys. The proposal suggests allocating a place for a syslinux payload, but I don't understand how it gets found if it's not in the first sector of the partition, which is what the MBR active flag effectively points to.

On ext, the code and blocklist fits into, I think just one of the two boot sectors ext reserves at the start. On btrfs the entirety of ldlinux.sys fits into the 64KB bootloader pad that the btrfs developers have reserved for this purpose, since files can be moved around without notice and break a block list's validity.

Chris Murphy