Now Working... but...

emiliano esposito skywalk3r at fastwebnet.it
Sat Jul 23 11:03:42 UTC 2005

Alle 11:10, sabato 23 luglio 2005, Mark Wormgoor ha scritto:
> Hi,
>
> > I finally managed to have a working system.
> >
> > What now happens is that after the initrd finishes, there is
> > no /dev/mapper/sil... but just /dev/mapper and "control".
> >
> > I have to manually do a "dmraid -ay" to get the drive back, and this
> > sounds strange to me since the system is just up and running, how can it
> > access the disk if it is not seen in /dev/mapper? this should apply to
> > swap space also.
> >
> > How can I workaround this? what is a safe place to put the dmraid
> > command?
>
> Initrd usually places the /dev/mapper/sil* nodes in a ramdisk, which gets
> unmounted after the system boots.  On my fedora system, I put another
> dmraid command in /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit, just after lvm initialization.
>
> Dmraid is in a lot of ways similar to lvm.  If you look at lvm, it also
> gets setup in both initrd and again in rc.sysinit. Lvm2 (used by fc2, fc3
> and fc4) also uses /dev/mapper/* devices.

Thank you, now it is OK!! :-)

I noticed that not even swap space was working. Then giving a:

dmsetup info

it reported:
Name:              sil_aeaddfbjaaeb9
State:             ACTIVE
Tables present:    LIVE
Open count:        2
Event number:      0
Major, minor:      254, 7
Number of targets: 1

one per partition.
So partitions where there, simply nodes where missing.

Thus, a:

dmsetup mknodes

... made devices usable again.

While, using this:

dmraid -ay

made some mess, since it created cloned devices like this

Name:              sil_aeaddfbjaaebb9

notice it is just like the one above, but it has two "b"s before partition
number. It seems like if dmraid detects another sets and puts it
into /dev/mapper.

I've appended this to rcS.d/S04udev (I've just learned that S04 is the 4th
script being executed during boot in Debian):

dmsetup mknodes

and now it works ok with the first names (just one "b" at the end). Also the
swap space is there and working!!

Now I only wonder if this is too hacky or I can leave things like this.

Thank you again, kind regards.
Emiliano